This simple guide serves as a how-to set up your own herbal apothecary. Whether it be securely stored in a traveling trunk or neatly displayed upon a series of shelves. The home apothecary is a scared space that allows for magic to take place.
This Simple Guide serves as a continuation of Setting up your own Herbal Apothecary
The heart of the home apothecary, the herbs that inspire & enlighten you!
These herbs being unique to your needs, desires, and location. You may choose to purchase them dry / fresh from an online herbal company / local organic farm or grow / wild-harvest them yourself. Whatever you decide to do though, always remember to consider the ethics surrounding your decisions in regards to wise wild-harvesting, sustainable agriculture, and good quality control practices, especially when it comes to endangered & at-risk plant species (this list by United Plant Savers serves as a valuable reference).
With that in mind, below you will find a list of herbs I like to keep on hand in my home apothecary
- Astragalus | Astragalus membranaceus
- Burdock Root | Arctium lappa
- Calendula | Calendula officinalis
- California Poppy | Eschscholzia californica
- Cayenne | Capsicum annuum
- Chamomile | Matricaria recutita
- Cramp Bark | Vibrunum opulus
- Dandelion Root | Taraxacum offcinale
- Echinacea | Echinacea Augustifolia
- Elder Berries + Flowers | Sambucus nigra
- Eleuthero | Eleutherococcus senticosus
- Fennel Seed | Foeniculum vulgare
- Garlic | Allium sativum
- Ginger Root | Zingiber officinale
- Hawthorn Berries | Crataegus monogyna
- Holy Basil | Ocimum sp.
- Lavender | Lavendula Augustifolia
- Lemon Balm | Melissa officinalis
- Licorice Root | Glycyrrhiza glabra
- Marshmallow Root | Althaea officinalis
- Nettle | Urtica dioica
- Oatstraw | Avena sativa
- Oregon Grape Root | Berberis nervosa
- Passionflower | Passiflora incarnata
- Pepper | Piper nigrum
- Peppermint | Mentha piperita
- Raspberry Leaf | Rubus idaeus
- Rosehips | Rosa spp.
- Rosemary | Rosmarinus officinalis
- Rose | Rosa damascena
- Sage | Salvia officinalis
- Slippery Elm | Ulmus ruba
- Thyme | Thymus sp.
- Turmeric | Curcuma longa
- Vitex | Vitex agnus-castus
- Yarrow | Achillea millefolium
These herbs were selected based on my own personal preferences and by no means serve as a comprehensive list.
Medicine Making Ingredients
The natural ingredients used to make your herbal preparations come alive. These ingredients again being unique to your needs, desires and dependent upon the medicine you are making. These ingredients might also be used in the formulation of natural beauty & body care products. For the purpose of this guide though, I am primarily focusing on medicine making ingredients.
Below you will find a list of ingredients I like to keep on hand in my home apothecary
- Carrier Oil | such as EV Olive Oil, EV Coconut Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Sesame Oil, Avocado Oil, & Hemp Oil |
- Specialty Oil | such as Rosehip Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Argan Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Almond Oil, Castor Oil, & Vitamin E Oil |
- Vegetable Glycerin
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Raw Honey
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Witch Hazel Extract
- Rosemary Antioxidant Extract
- Cocoa Butter
- Shea Butter
- Cosmetic Clay | such as Bentonite Clay, White Clay, French Green Clay, & Rhassoul Clay |
- Cosmetic Salt | such as Epsom Salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, Sea Salt, & Dead Sea Salt |
- Wax | such as Beeswax or Carnauba Wax |
- Organic Alcohol for Extracts | ranging from 50 to 100 proof |
I highly recommend purchasing from Certified Organic + Non-GMO sources that maintain Fair-Trade agreements and uphold good quality control practices.
Below I have included some of my favorite online retailers that sell bulk organic dried herbs & herbal medicine making supplies
| United States |
- Mountain Rose Herbs – An incredible herbal company & organic farm that carries a vast selection of high-quality herbs, spices, teas, & DIY supplies.
- Strictly Medicinal Seeds – An inspiring medicinal seed company & organic farm that carries a wide variety of medicinal herb seeds, plants, dried herbs, and medicine making supplies.
- Zach Woods Herb Farm – A beautiful organic medicinal herb farm that carries a variety of dried medicinal herbs, fresh medicinal herbs, and plants.
- Island Herbs – Renowned seaweed expert Ryan Drums medicinal herb & seaweed shop.
| Canada |
- Harmonic Arts – An inspiring herbal company that carries a wide variety of dried medicinal herbs, spices, teas, mushrooms, & DIY supplies.
- Clef Des Champs – A beautiful organic medicinal herb company & farm run by a joyful team of herbalists & gardeners.
Information offered on The Florestic is for educational purposes only. The Florestic makes neither medical claim, nor intends to diagnose or treat medical conditions. Links to external sites are for informational purposes only. The Florestic neither endorses them nor is in any way responsible for their content. Readers must do their own research concerning the safety and usage of any herbs or supplements.